Kashi Vishwanath Temple stands on the western bank of river Ganga in Varanasi. It is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas and the holiest of Shiva temples. The main deity is known by the name Vishwanatha or Vishweshvara meaning Ruler of The Universe. The Varanasi city is also called Kashi, and hence the temple is popularly called Kashi Vishwanath Temple. It has been destroyed and reconstructed a number of times in the history. The last structure was demolished by Aurangzeb, the sixth Mughal emperor who constructed the Gyanvapi Mosque on its site. The remains of the erstwhile temple can be seen in the foundation, the columns and at the rear part of the mosque. The current structure was built on an adjacent site by the Maratha monarch, Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore in 1780.